“We’re thrilled to be celebrating the seven wonders of the Landmarks,” commented Dave Raetz, Deputy Director of Irvine Ranch Conservancy. “We’re encouraging nature lovers to explore the wonders by registering for a program on the open spaces, and to follow the Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks on social media for a chance to win a beautiful canvas of their favorite wonder.”
The geological formation known as The Sinks in OC Parks’ Limestone Canyon Nature Preserve is an iconic formation that’s often referred to as “Orange County’s mini-Grand Canyon.” Nature lovers can hike approximately nine miles through the oak woodlands of Limestone Canyon to reach viewing decks and experience the expansive views and native species of The Sinks.
- Mid-Week Hike: Agua Chinon and The Sinks on Wednesday, November 29 from 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. invites trail blazers to hike 12 miles to The Sinks and other popular destinations in Limestone Canyon like Box Springs, Loma Ridge, and more.
- After Work Fitness Hike on Paved Hicks Haul Road on Monday, November 27 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. is a weekly fitness-focused program held every Monday night that allows visitors to hike up to the top of Loma Ridge and enjoy wonderful views of Orange County.
- It’s Harvest Time! Collect Wildflower Seeds at the Native Seed Farm on Saturday, December 2 from 8:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. encourages volunteers to get out on the lands to harvest native seeds to repair the local habitat.
- The Natural History of Black Star Canyon on Sunday, December 17 from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. invites the public to enjoy views of the Santa Ana Mountain and Baker Canyon during this 3.5 mile hike.
- California Holly and Other Winter Flora of Buck Gully on Friday, December 15 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. will explore the holly and other neighboring flora thriving in Buck Gully during the cooler, wetter wintertime.
- Second Sunday Restoration Program on Sunday, December 10 from 9 – 11 a.m. invites volunteers to enhance the Back Bay’s habitat for local wildlife by removing invasive plants, cleaning up trash, planting native plants, and more
- Wilderness Access Day: Bommer Canyon on Saturday, December 16 welcomes nature lovers to explore Bommer and Shady Canyons, and make the trek to Three Sisters Rock.