American Hiking Society’s National Trails Day kicks off the summer season by encouraging everyone to “find your trail.” On June 4, join your fellow Americans enjoying trails all across the country and hit the trails right here in the Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks.
Each year for the past 24 years, American Hiking Society — along with local outdoors clubs, businesses, conservation organizations, and parks — have invited the public to attend special trail events on National Trails Day. Activities include recreational opportunities such as hikes, bike rides, trail runs, horseback rides, paddle trips, and kid-specific activities. Other events offer stewardship projects including trail maintenance, habitat restoration, and park cleanups.
“Whether someone wants to participate in a centennial celebration event at a National Park or connect with other adventure seekers at a neighborhood open space, there’s a National Trails Day event for everyone,” explains American Hiking Society President Gregory Miller. “Our nation’s trails offer individuals from all walks of life boundless opportunities to enjoy nature, reconnect with family and friends, and discover fun ways to stay active and get healthy.”
Parks, clubs, and other organizations can still register their June 4 events for free at AmericanHiking.org for inclusion in the publicly searchable database. “Registering an event makes it easy for the public to find nearby events matching their specific interests,” according to Miller.
Below is a list of free Landmarks events on Saturday, June 4, to Celebrate National Trails Day, and more information on the nationwide celebration is available at AmericanHiking.org. Click the titles below for more information or to register.
- Bridges of Buck Gully Hike: 8:00 am - 11:00 am
- Nursery Plant Propagation and Care Day (Laguna Coast Wilderness Park): 8:00 am - 11:00 am
- The Flowers and Rare Plants of the Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks(Black Star Canyon Wilderness Park): 8:00 am – 11:30 am
- It’s Harvest Time! Collect Wildflower Seeds at the Native Seed Farm: 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
- Back Bay Drive Nature Walk: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Shellmaker Island Discovery Tour: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- What’s In Your Backyard? (Limestone Canyon Nature Preserve): 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Wildlife Walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary: 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- Kayak Tour (Upper Newport Bay): 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Explore the Bay – Family Hike: 10:30 am - 11:30 am
- Family Hike (Laguna Coast Wilderness Park): 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Orchard Hills Evening Hike: 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
For more activities, visit www.LetsGoOutside.org/Activities.